Tech & Finance Recruiting

By Ringside Talent

June 18, 2018

If you have any experience conducting interviews, you have had at least one interview that left you scratching your head wondering how someone thought it was appropriate to act, say, or present themselves how they did.   Whether it was unprofessional dress, swearing during the interview, or showing up completely unprepared, there are some obvious “no-no’s” to interviewing, but there are some people that take this to a whole other level.  Career Builder recently did a survey of 2,500 hiring managers who shared the most memorable, strangest, cringe worthy mistakes that candidates have made.

Here are the 15 wildest things people have done on a job interview: (We dare you not to laugh)

  1.  Candidate took a family photo off the interviewer’s desk and put it in her purse.
  2.  A candidate started screaming that the interview was taking too long.
  3.  A candidate sang her response to questions.
  4.  Candidate offered interviewer pumpkin seeds and said they transfer good energy.
  5.  A candidate put lotion on their feet during the interview.
  6.  When asked why he wanted the position, a candidate replied, “My wife wants me to get a job.”
  7.  A candidate started feeling the interviewer’s chest to find a heartbeat, so they could “connect heart to heart.”
  8.  A candidate brought a pet bird with them.
  9.  A candidate said he wouldn’t be willing to wear slacks because they don’t feel good.
  10.  A candidate spread confetti around during the interview.
  11.  Candidate pulled out a bag of drugs with his keys.
  12.  Candidate came to the interview wearing slippers.
  13.  A candidate said her main job as being a psychic/medium and tried to read the interviewer’s palm, despite their attempt to decline the offer.
  14.  Candidate asked for a cocktail.
  15.  A candidate took a phone interview in the bathroom… and flushed.

Sure, these stories are funny to read, but unfortunately hiring managers spend valuable time interviewing people that are obvious “no’s”.  They also waste time sifting (or waiting on HR to sift) through resumes of unqualified candidates and people that aren’t the right fit for their organization.  That is why working with Ringside could help save you time, money, and energy by pre-screening candidates for you.   We bring you candidates that aren’t out there actively looking and applying to jobs.  Did you know that by only interviewing people that apply to your job posting, you are only exposing yourself to 25% of the job market (and a big chunk of this 25% are people that are unemployed)?  Ringside is connected and has relationships with the other 75% of highly qualified individuals that aren’t actively looking, but are open to making a change if the opportunity is right.

To speak with one of Ringside’s recruiters that specializes in your market and industry, and start receiving a list of pre-screened, qualified candidates that only we have relationships and access to, click HERE.


Source:  Career Builder