By Ringside Talent
December 20, 2016
Wages and salaries increased 2.1% in the last 12 months. This is a good news for employees. When accepting a new job or next position, make sure you are getting what you are worth.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when negotiating a salary:
- Ask for more time. Don’t be afraid to ask for more time to consider. There is a good chance they won’t rescind the offer.
- Be enthusiastic. Lead with positivity. Communicate that you want the job and you’re excited to discuss it further.
- Understand the job and its benefits completely. Ask questions to better understand the
- Base salary
- Frequency of reviews
- 401(K) match
- Vacation time
- Arm yourself with research. Research standard salaries if possible. Try to find date from direct competitors, industry surveys with consideration for geography.
- Give a range. Pick your highest salary and make that low-point of a range. This is advantageous to offer-recipients. Employers will hear your “bottom line,” and be more likely to grant that.
- Expect push back. Respond as if you were still in the job interview. Be prepared to sell qualities that make you distinctive.
- Leave emotion out of it. Accept or decline with grace. Emotions will make things awkward.
Remember it all starts with asking. Good luck!